Saturday, February 16, 2008

Oh the things you learn...

Earlier today I asked Grams (also known as the crazy old lady) about how a published writer would get taxed for royalties and such, at which point she revealed to me an interesting fact. Many years ago my Grandmother wrote a romance novel, long hand. She never published it but she still has the MS after all of these years. On one hand that she wrote it is not surprising in the least, I swear she put all of Jude Deveraux and Catherine Coulter's children through college single handedly, and I make frequent forrays into her library of smut when I'm looking for something racy and historical. On the other hand I am surprised that she never mentioned the damn thing to me once in the past 22 years.

The woman loves to talk, but only recently has she told me anything that I felt was of "value." In other words it's taken 22 years for her to get around to talking about herself, and the bits of our family history that I will never learn from my dad or his siblings. I've heard more about a the clothing people wore to a funeral of a little girl I never met than I do about the crazy old woman's life. I don't even know how she met my grandfather, just that like me he could not abide tomatoes on anything.

If I keep going this is going to turn into a loooooong rant so I'll sign out now.

Love from Carat Land

No comments: